User requirements for authoritative geospatial data and support for policymakers were at the heart of discussions at EuroGeographics 2021 General Assembly. More than 100 leaders and senior representatives from 55 members of the association for Europe’s National Mapping, Cadastral and Land Registration Authorities participated in the two-day event, which was held online.
Speakers included Marta Nagy-Rothengass, head of unit, Eurostat, Oliver Müller, GISCO team leader, and Henrik Steen Andersen from the European Environment Agency.
Joint vision for data sharing
Colin Bray, president of EuroGeographics said: “As always, connections were at the heart of our agenda: connections between members, connections with key users of their authoritative data, and connections that are being made through new technology.”
“As official sources of trusted information, we want people to use our data, so it was very interesting to see the different ways in which members’ data is benefiting Eurostat and the European Environment Agency, as well as to learn more about the requirements of Frontex and DG AGRI. It is clear that we have a joint vision for cooperation and data sharing, and we look forward to continuing working with them for the benefit of society in general.”
The General Assembly was an opportunity for EuroGeographics members to renew their commitment to the community, and included the election of three new Management Board members.
Mrs Eydis Lindal Finnbogadottir, Andreas Hadjiraftis, and Martin Salzmann will each serve a two-year term.
As a result, the not-for-profit organization’s Management Board now comprises:
- President Colin Bray, Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- Sanja Zekušić, State Geodetic Administration, Croatia.
- Andreas Hadjiraftis, Department of Lands and Surveys of Cyprus.
- Sébastien Soriano, National Institute of Geographic and Forest Information, France.
- Pier-Giorgio Zaccheddu, Federal Agency for Cartography and Geodesy, Germany.
- Eydis Lindal Finnbogadottir, National Land Survey of Iceland.
- Martin Salzmann, The Netherlands’ Cadastre, Land Registry and Mapping Agency.
- Kenny Crawford, Registers of Scotland.
- Amalia Velasco Martín-Varés, Spanish Directorate General for Cadastre.