The FIG Congress 2022 marks the end of term for the current 2019-2022 leadership for the President, two Vice Presidents and all ten Commission Chairs. It has been an unusual – and digital – term of office. The last time the global land surveying community could meet was at the FIG Working Week 2019 in Hanoi, Vietnam. This was the first event of the current leadership – and the only one that was held on-location, at least so far. Now the FIG is looking forward to meeting again in person, this year in Warsaw, Poland, on 11-15 September 2022.
Last year, the General Assembly was held online. This had both advantages and disadvantages. One advantage was that many members were able to attend. Although the travel situation looks much better this year, the FIG Council has decided to hold one of the General Assembly sessions online to make it possible for as many members as possible to attend. This online session will be held most likely on a Sunday a few weeks before the FIG Congress and will include the President’s report, commission reports, the financial report and other FIG matters.
After that, it is time to meet in person. The second session will be held in the afternoon of 11 September 2022 in Warsaw. This on-site session is called ‘Get to know your candidates’. The FIG Council has received nominations from the following candidates:
Candidates for President for the term 2023–2026:
- Abbas Rajabifard, Surveying & Spatial Sciences Institute SSSI, Australia
- Diane Dumashie, Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors RICS, UK
- Orhan Ercan, Turkish Chamber of Survey and Cadastre Engineers HKMO, Turkey
Candidates for two Vice Presidents 2023–2026
- Brian Davies, Canadian Institute of Geomatics CIG, Canada
- Daniel Steudler, GEOSUISSE, Switzerland
- Qin Yan, Chinese Society for Geodesy Photogrammetry and Cartography CSGPC, China
- Winnie Shiu, National Society of Professional Surveyors NSPS, USA
The elections for the two Vice Presidents will start immediately after the second General Assembly session. The election for President will start on Tuesday 13 September 2022. All member associations eligible to vote will appoint an official delegate and the voting will, like last year, be held online.
The opening ceremony followed by the welcome reception will be held immediately after the General Assembly session. Three further days of intensive learning, exchange and networking in a variety of technical, special and other sessions await all attendees. The highlight of each day will be the keynote sessions that will cover the following topics:
- Geospatial Excellence for Better Living – Digitalization and Modern Surveying and Cadastre in a Post-COVID-19 Era
- Urban Rural Land Linkages
- Land Governance in support of the 2030 Global Agenda
- Our Next Generation – on Mentoring and Women’s Land Rights
- Mapping the Plastic
- Technology and Visualization for the Future
The third and final General Assembly closes the Congress on 15 September with a final session in which the result of the elections will be published.
The FIG Congress 2022 is an excellent opportunity to meet international colleagues and new peers and friends – finally in person again after three years of screen-only presence.
Make your inbox more interesting.Add some geo.
Keep abreast of news, developments and technological advancement in the geomatics industry.Sign up for free